Thursday, June 26, 2014

Emotional Listening #44

Hoop Dreams
Hoop Dreams - Big Kids (Topshelf, 2010)
One of the earlier entries in this still on-going "emo revival," at least that I had heard of, I dragged my feet for a while with Big Kids. I purchased their 2010 debut LP, Hoop Dreams, at the Topshelf Records tent at Bled Fest last month, and, it's a hell of a time. There are some nods to Alkaline Trio and even Jawbreaker here and there, but, I'd say the bands' biggest influences are probably early Small Brown Bike and even more so Hot Water Music. On Hoop Dreams, Big Kids present a quality mix of raw punk energy with a pop sensibility that's just as rough around the edges as it is catchy and melodic. With this style of music, an LP only having eight songs means there's definitely something missing, but, I am usually quite content with records that leave me wanting me. Plus, I won't complain too much when a record opens with such a mega-jam such "Parents Are Still a Handful."
Top jams: "Parents Are Still a Handful," "Let's Make More Plans," "Remember the Silver Lion (48th St. House Too)," "Psychedelic Rock Dance Party or Something," "Get Motion!"



Armed Forces
Armed Forces - Elvis Costello and the Attractions (Columbia, 1979)
My experience with Elvis Costello thus far in my life has been quite good, albeit limited. I've listened to 1977's My Aim is True a handful of times and appreciate it, but, until now, I hadn't really been able to get past the awesomeness of 1978's This Year's Model. Then, it hit me: Costello's 1979 follow-up, Armed Forces, completely rules! With his backing band The Attractions back again, Armed Forces showcases more tuneful, intelligent, surprisingly complex power pop, this time with some more interesting arrangements (meaning, more synths and piano). The album is full of hooks, but, they never last as long, nor happen as frequently, as one may require. Being a fan of more intricate song structures, I am totally okay with this. What are my favorite songs, you ask? "Senior Service," "Big Boys" and "Busy Bodies," of course. I never thought I'd appreciate another Costello song quite the way I do the super bad ass This Year's Model opener, "No Action," but, I think these three have made it finally happen.
Top jams: "Accidents Will Happen," 'Senior Service," "Big Boys," "Party Girl," "Busy Bodies," "Chemistry Class," "Two Little Hitlers"



Into Lake Griffy
Into Lake Griffy - Good Luck (No Idea, 2009)
I'm not sure if Bloomington, IN's Good Luck even exist anymore, but,  their two full lengths have been quality additions to the realm of modern punk rock. Into Lake Griffy is their debut, and, I think it might have been self-released in 2008, but, I'm not sure. No Idea Records put it out in 2009, though. This is some noodly pop punk: technical guitar playing (finger-tapping and all), complex rhythms and song structures, interweaving boy/girl vocals, etc. This is certainly not heavy music. It is bright, upbeat, and surprisingly soft in some places. It's a good mix of things, and makes for a pretty unique sound all in all. I may slightly prefer their 2011 follow-up, Without Hesitation, but, Into Lake Griffy is a great debut.
Top jams: "How to Live Here," "Pajammin," "Man on Fire," "Hey Matt," "Come Home," "Stone Cathedral Hill," "Bringing Them Back to Life," "1001 Open Hands"



Pretenders
Pretenders - The Pretenders (Sire, 1980)
I feel like this might be a silly thing to admit, but, my interest in the 1980s guitar pop group The Pretenders began with Guitar Hero. One of the games, and, I can't remember which one, featured "Tattooed Love Boys," which, to this day, is still a pretty bad ass song. Now that I've become quite familiar with the album, even better is instrumental jam "Space Invader," "The Wait," which is the closest the band comes to punk rock here, and album closer "Mystery Achievement."  Chrissie Hynde's voice works in a little of places here. In others, it is a little corny. But, the real hero here is the guitars, anyway. Not that they're doing anything mind-blowing, they're just bouncy and really fun, creating a unique atmosphere of outright pop music with some subtly punk edge. Pretenders isn't something to loose your shit over, but, it's a very solid 80s pop record.
Top jams: "The Phone Call," "Up the Neck," "Tattooed Love Boys," "Space Invader," "The Wait," "Stop Your Sobbing," "Kid," "Mystery Achievement"



A Better Version of Me
A Better Version of Me - Rainer Maria (Polyvinyl, 2001)
At a time (the early 2000s) when the overall quality of emo music was diminishing (discluding the likes of Small Brown Bike, The Casket Lottery, The Appleseed Cast and Red Animal War, to name a few), the Madison, WI then Brooklyn band Rainer Maria were keeping the dream alive. Their second LP, and first in the 21st century, A Better Version of Me, is just stellar. I really enjoy the mix of Caithlin De Marrais' powerful vocals and Kyle Fischer's flawed, innocent sounding ones. The melodies they sing aren't too shabby either. William Kuehn's drumming isn't mind-blowing, but, it's unique and fun to dissect all the same. My favorite aspect of this album is easily Fischer's bright, open guitar chords, with De Marrais' melodic bass playing underneath. I've loved opener, "Artificial Light," since high school, and, maybe four or five years ago came to the realization that closer "Hell and High Water" is definitely Rainer Maria's best song. Every song on this record is good, even the snoozer jams. It's just that the upbeat songs ("Thought I Was" and "The Contents of Lincoln's Pockets" in particular) shine through a whole lot more.
Top jams: "Artificial Light," "Thought I Was," "Ceremony," "Save My Skin," "The Contents of Lincoln's Pockets," "Hell and High Water"

No comments: