Saturday, September 27, 2014

Emotional Listening #49

Ride the Fader
Ride the Fader - Chavez (Matador, 1996)
I got into Chavez's first record last summer, and now am finally doing the same with their second and final one, Ride the Fader. While I'm bummed that they only released two records in their existence, I'm not sure that I could have asked for anything else from them. Ride the Fader is more melodic, technical, angular guitar rock. It might be even more accessible than 1995's Gone Glimmering, but, I think I prefer the overall feel of that previous record. The drums here are huge and intense, as are the guitars, and Matt Sweeney's voice and melodies fit perfectly. I love the contrast of these heavier tunes with the melodic, well-sung vocals. This album opens up with a one-two-three punch that rivals The Dismemberment Plan's Change in "Top Pocket Man," "The Guard Attacks" and "Unreal is Here." The first two are heavy hitters, but, then "Unreal is Here" brings things down a notch, and is perhaps the band's most tender moment (and is also my favorite song). There are other great moments throughout, but nothing reaches the heights of the first three tracks until closer "You Must be Stopped," which features some gnarly guitar harmonics and, once again, some insane drumming. I'd consider Swervedriver, Hum, Polvo, Burning Airlines and Shiner all to be kindred spirits here.
Top jams: "Top Pocket Man," "The Guard Attacks," "Unreal is Here," "New Room," "Lions," "Our Boys Will Shine Tonight," "Flight 96," "You Must be Stopped"



24 Hour Revenge Therapy
24 Hour Revenge Therapy - Jawbreaker (Tupelo/Communion, 1994)
It's funny, I just realized that when I previously had written about Chavez on here, in the same post I also wrote about Jawbreaker's final LP, Dear You. I'm not sure how things lined up that way again this time around. Anyway, admittedly, I'm relatively new to the Jawbreaker game. I was dragging my feet for years until I stumbled upon a used vinyl reissue of Dear You at Underground Sounds in Ann Arbor a couple years ago and decided it was finally time to dig in. Dear You ended up hitting me pretty hard, and now I am totally in love with that record. Jawbreaker's previous record, the Albini-produced(!), 24 Hour Revenge Therapy, hasn't had nearly the same effect yet. There are certainly some jams, mainly "The Boat Dreams From the Hill," "Boxcar" and "Do You Still Hate Me?" The Albini production is an interesting thing, as the drums sound typical of him (big and roomy), but the guitars sound like garbage. Blake Schwarzenbach's melodies are fantastic, and overall, this is some really good, angry pop punk. The songs just aren't as good as those on Dear You. Can tell that I didn't grow up listening to the band?
Top jams: "The Boat Dreams From the Hill," "Indictment," "Boxcar," "Outpatient," "Ache," "Do You Still Hate Me?," "Jinx Removing"



The Stone Roses
The Stone Roses - The Stone Roses (Silvertone, 1989)
I've known that The Stone Roses' self-titled debut (and their only worthwhile record, from what I gather) was deserving of my full attention for a good while now. I've dabbled with it here and there over the past couple of years, but, am finally giving its due devotion. Sure, there are songs I like considerably more than others, but, this is a near-perfect album. I mean, the first half, "I Wanna be Adored" through "Bye Bye Bad Man," IS perfect. A couple of the tracks toward the end lose me. That's entirely forgivable, though. Some of the deep cuts are incredible, especially jangle-popper "(Song for My) Sugar Spun Sister" and the kinda sexy chill jam "Shoot You Down." "I Am the Resurrection" is definitely the perfect choice for closer, and I love the way it starts and eventually ends. However, I could do without the extended funk jam in the middle. Am I alone in this? Anyway, the first half of the record is truly untouchable and it overshadows any of the flaws later on. The guitars are absolutely gorgeous, and Ian Brown's vocals and melodies are as close to flawless as you can get. This will stick with me forever, I'm sure. Is it the best Brit Pop album? I don't know nor care enough about the genre to say yes with confidence, but, it has to be, right? Is it the best thing to come out of the UK? No, I still believe that OK Computer retains that title. Is it better than any Beatles record? Ummmmmm... maybe?
Top jams: "I Wanna be Adored," "She Bangs the Drums," "Elephant Stone," "Waterfall," "Don't Stop," "Bye Bye Bad Man," "(Song for My) Sugar Spun Sister," "Shoot You Down," "I Am the Resurrection"



Laughing Stock
Laughing Stock - Talk Talk (Verve, 1991)
It takes a special album for me to like it when it's made up of only six songs and clocks in at almost 45 minutes. Talk Talk have achieved the unthinkable. If I recall correctly, Talk Talk spent most of the 80s as a popular new wave/synth pop group, then, for 1988's Spirit of Eden (their fourth LP), turned completely into left field with a more sparse, jazzy, experimental sound. I tried getting into that record a couple months ago, and it wasn't working for me. Back in 2007 or maybe 2008, I remember my friend Julian raving about their final LP, Laughing Stock. I had checked it out once or twice back then, thinking it sounded very cool and interesting, but, also sort of boring. While since then I have become more of a fan of short and sweet records (and songs), I have developed a tolerance, and even appreciation in a number of circumstances, for repetition. That is certainly one word I would use to describe Laughing Stock. Another would be arty, and yet another would be beautiful. I've never heard music like this before: simple, but, thick bass grooves and light, jazzy, ridiculously repetitive drumming make up the core. "Ascension Day" showcases some loud, rhythm-heavy guitar and Mark Hollis' spectacular vocals at their most intense. The two best songs, "After the Flood" and "New Grass," which are just under 10 minutes long each, are more of a collection of soft guitar fiddling, huge organ chords and spacious atmosphere. I didn't think my brain had the capacity for music like this anymore, but, after coming back to Laughing Stock and spending more time with it, that has been disproved.
Top jams: "Myrrhman," "Ascension Day," "After the Flood," "New Grass"

No comments: