Friday, December 26, 2014

Favorite Albums of 2014: Honorable Mentions

I'm going to go so far as to say that 2014 was a really great year for music. Much better than 2013. There was enough for me to like that I was once again able to come up with a list of 40 favorite albums (last year I sort of forced it) and 15 favorite EPs/7"s. And, here, I'm even doing an honorable mentions post! Let's get on with it.

Best of Boiler Room Classics
Best of Boiler Room Classics - Mike Adams at His Honest Weight (Flannelgraph/Joyful Noise)
My buddy Mike Adams from the now defunct Bloomington, IN band Husband & Wife released his second album under his At His Honest Weight moniker, and it is very good. Huge pop songs that waver into dreamy territory at times. There are moments that remind me of Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots.
Top jam: "The Bright Line"



Enter the Slasher House
Enter the Slasher House - Avey Tare's Slasher Flicks (Domino)
It's nice to hear someone from Animal Collective using real instruments again. Enter the Slasher House is one of the more underrated albums of 2014. All the usual suspects are here: high quality, complex melodies and synth and sample-driven instrumentation. This time Angel Deradoorian (ex-Dirty Projectors, playing the role of Noah Lennox) and the drummer from Ponytail are in tow, making the rhythms a little more interesting.
Top jam: "A Sender"



Lose
Lose - Cymbals Eat Guitars (Barsuk)
Cymbals Eat Guitars' third album, Lose, got a lot of comparisons to The Wrens. I will shamefully admit that I've still never listened to a Wrens, record, but, these songs really make me want to. Smart, epic rock 'n' roll that recalls both 80s and 90s alternative rock music, but, with a modern spin on it.
Top jam: "Chambers"



Sisyphus Says
Sisyphus Says - The Lees of Memory (Side One Dummy)
Sisyphus Says is essentially a shoegaze record from John Davis, of Superdrag fame. There are some straight ahead power pop moments (some better than others), but, those fuzzy, bendy guitars are all over the place, and it's pretty cool. The Lees of Memory could have made this a seven-song EP and it would have ranked considerably higher than just as an honorable mention.
Top jam: "Lower Atmosphere"



Wig Out at Jagbags
Wig Out at Jagbags - Stephen Malkmus & the Jicks (Matador)
While I haven't listened to all of Stephen Malkmus' solo and Jicks records, of the four that I am familiar with and fond of (self-titled, Real Emotional Trash, Mirror Traffic and Wig Out at Jagbags), this one is my least favorite by far. That's not to say it's bad, because it is very good. It's just softer and a little more boring. Malkmus' typically great melodies and clever lyrics abound, though, and there are a lot of sneaky good moments. "Lariat" ranks with his greatest post-Pavement songs.
Top jam: "Lariat"



Sunbathing Animal
Sunbathing Animal - Parquet Courts (What's Your Rupture?/Mom + Pop)
I got super into Parquet Courts' Light Up Gold last year (even if it was originally released in 2012) in all of its Modern Lovers/Television/Pavement glory. So, needless to say, I was really stoked for Sunbathing Animal to come out this year. Unfortunately, I was let down. It's a fine record, it's just more direct, places a higher level of stress on the garage rock aspect of their sound, and is simply not as good. "Black and White" and "Ducking & Dodging" are awesome, though.
Top jam: "Black and White"



Atlas
Atlas - Real Estate (Domino)
It irks me to say it, but Real Estate's third LP, Atlas, was another 2014 disappointment. In the grand scheme of things, it is a totally solid record, but, when weighed against their self-titled debut and Days, it bums me out. It is a further extension of their jangly and chimey guitar ways, but, it's just slower, quieter, and I find myself getting bored not long after "Crime," it's biggest standout. Musically, this band has grown older than their actual age should allow.
Top jam: "Crime"



St. Vincent
St. Vincent - St. Vincent (Loma Vista)
Including this one, I think Annie Clark's last two records have been somewhat overrated, despite the fact that she is creating some of the most creative and unique music out there. She is an obvious talent, and her music is important. Plus, she is 4/4 in putting out quality records. I just miss the Actor days, when her songs were dominated by ballsy, crazy sounding guitars. They're still there, they've just been pushed to the background by synthesizers. I do like how the David Byrne influence has carried over from her 2012 collaboration with him.
Top jam: "Rattlesnake"



Old Fears
Old Fears - School of Language (Memphis Industries)
Sunderland, England's Field Music is one of my absolute favorite bands of the 21st century (2007's Tones of Town is one of my favorite albums of all time). The brothers Brewis can do no wrong. In 2008, they each put out one-off solo records, and School of Language is David's baby. He decided to revive the project in 2014, and instead of the guitar-driven, complex, angular rock of Sea From Shore, Old Fears is kraut-infused, white-boy Prince music. I am definitely not complaining.
Top jam: "Dress Up"



Temple of Plenty
Temple of Plenty - Somos (Tiny Engines)
I don't remember why exactly I checked out the band Somos this year. Maybe it was on Tony Pacheco's recommendation? Anyway, in a world where emo is popular again, especially this polite version with very high production value, a lot of bands just blend together and thus are forgettable. I can't really explain it, but somehow, Temple of Plenty sticks out to me. It might be because singer dude here has a really good voice, and his melodies are top notch. The guitars sound really great too, and these songs don't have the most straightforward of structures either, which is usually a plus for me.
Top jam: "Dead Wrong"

No comments: