Tuesday, December 23, 2014

Favorite Books Read in 2014

Let the year-end posts begin!

Reel Terror
(10) Reel Terror - David Konow (2012)
Last year, I really enjoyed reading Jason Zinoman's Shock Value, which looked at the important, classic horror films of the 1970s. David Konow's Reel Terror covers those same films, and then some. It is 500+ pages and touches on more minor entries in the genre, the classic Universal Monsters films, and also moves on through 80s, 90s and 00s horror. The depth that Shock Value goes into is great, but, the variety that Reel Terror presents is also appreciated.

Fantasyland
(9) Fantasyland - Sam Walker (2006)
Here is a look at what it would be like to be in a premium auction fantasy baseball league with the most brilliant creators and analysts of the game. As an admitted addict when baseball season rolls around, this was a very fun read for me.

Look at Me
(8) Look at Me - Jennifer Egan (2001)
Two years ago I read Jennifer Egan's Pulitzer Prize winning A Visit From the Goon Squad. Look at Me is her second novel, and it might be just as good. It starts with a female model who gets into a terrible automobile accident that damages her looks and thus hinders her job prospects. It gets really crazy and sprawls into post-modern territory relatively quickly. The characters are fun and usually make poor decisions (which is always my jam).

The Barrytown Trilogy
(7) The Barrytown Trilogy: The Commitments/The Snapper/The Van - Roddy Doyle (1992)
My girlfriend Sara tipped me off to Roddy Doyle, and strongly urged me to purchase The Barrytown Trilogy collection at a bookstore in Minneapolis. Three novels (one about a youthful Dublin motown band, one about young single motherhood and one about friends running a food truck), all of which are hilarious, two of which are also sad and touching. This is some good hipster lit.

House of Leaves
(6) House of Leaves - Mark Z. Danielewski (2000)
Almost Infinite Jest-esque in how difficult and inconvenient the visual structure of this book is, but, House of Leaves was about as good as I had hoped. Mark Z. Danielewski has weaved a tale that is engrossing, mysterious, eerie, sometimes terrifying, sly and ridiculously clever. It still has me scratching my head. Very fun.

A Dance of Dragons
(5) A Dance With Dragons - George R.R. Martin (2011)
A Dance With Dragons is my fourth favorite out of the five entries in the A Song of Ice and Fire series thus far. Even though it is the most recent one I've read, watching the tv show along with reading the books has made it extremely difficult to recall what exactly happened when within the story's timeline. Anyway, I remember lots of good stuff happened in this book, but, there were a lot of plodding, tiring moments that I could have done without. George R.R. Martin better get moving.

The Great American Novel
(4) The Great American Novel - Philip Roth (1973)
The Great American Novel is the third Philip Roth book that I've read, and while it doesn't come close to Portnoy's Complaint, it is wonderful, entertaining and hilarious. It is a novel about a fictional secondary professional baseball league that may or may not be a front for the spreading of communism in America. Twisted, satirical and delightful.

The Leftovers
(3) The Leftovers - Tom Perrotta (2011)
I am so glad I read the novel before watching the HBO series. My first experience with Tom Perrotta was Little Children (first the film, then the preceding novel), both of which I thoroughly enjoyed. When I first found out about The Leftovers, I was stoked, particularly due to my upbringing in the Christian church and that general religion's belief in the event known as the rapture. This novel touches on a similar event, except that a diverse, random group of people disappear instead of exclusively Christians, and how a particular set of characters left behind cope with the loss of their loved ones. Yes, it is pretty depressing, but Perrotta's writing style is relatively upbeat and enthusiastic, considering the material, as well as satirical, making reading this a much less hopeless (note: not necessarily hopeful) experience than viewing the dire HBO series.

The Fortress of Solitude
(2) The Fortress of Solitude - Jonathan Lethem (2003)
I had been wanting to read Jonathan Lethem's 2003 claim to fame, The Fortress of Solitude, for a long time, and I was not disappointed. The story is extremely complex, forcing me to put more work into it than I expected to. But, it was totally worth it. This is a love letter to New York City, music, and superheroes, and its characters are wonderfully zany and beyond rich. A sad, funny, endearing and exceptional read.

Our Band Could be Your Life
(1) Our Band Could be Your Life - Michael Azerrad (2001)
Here's another book I'd wanted to read for years. It's about time. Our Band Could be Your Life was easily the most enjoyable read of the year for me. Each chapter covers the independent years (meaning, early years spent on independent record labels) of some of the most incredible bands. I loved the chapters on The Replacements, Husker Du, Dinosaur Jr., Fugazi, Sonic Youth, Beat Happening, Butthole Surfers (though my interest in listening to that band remains nil) and especially Minutemen. I need to read more Michael Azerrad.

No comments: